Tooth discolouration is a common cosmetic dental concern that can drastically impact the appearance of your smile. Yellowed or discoloured teeth can make you feel self-conscious causing you to hide your smile on closed lips.
At Villanova Dental Studio- we want to see you smile! We offer a range of cosmetic treatments that can improve the color of your teeth.
Patients unhappy with the colour of their teeth often wonder, “Why are my teeth are discoloured?”
This month we take a closer look at the different types of tooth discolouration, what causes them, and how you can whiten and brighten your beautiful smile.
Common Causes of Tooth Discolouration
- Diet- What you eat and drink can change the colour of your teeth. Repeated exposure to red wine, coffee, and foods high with high acidity can stain teeth over time. Avoid dark-coloured beverages and acidic foods for whiter teeth.
- Enamel Erosion- As we age enamel gradually begins to erode. As the outer layer of the tooth thins, the inner layer, known as dentin, is left exposed. Dentin is naturally yellow in colour and gives teeth a dirty or yellowish appearance. Iveri whitening gels and take-home whitening kits are usually highly effective at whitening yellow teeth caused by enamel erosion.
- Trauma- An accident that impacts the tooth structure can leave a dark or brown spot on the tooth. Tooth discolouration caused by trauma is often resistant to whitening gels and may require more advanced cosmetic treatment.
- Over Exposure to Fluoride- Do you have bright white spots on some of your teeth? Bright white spots may be caused by overexposure to fluoride during tooth development.
- Medications- Certain medications, primarily certain anti-biotics are known for leaving permanent dark spots on the teeth. Dental veneers or dental bonding are effective cosmetic options for disguising this type of discoloration.
Whiten & Brighten Your Teeth
Are you looking for a dentist that offers superior teeth whitening in Kanata, ON and Ottawa, ON? Dr. Barakat offers his patients Iveri Whitening, a superior in-office teeth whitening system. Call us today at (613) 963-0140 or schedule an appointment online. We welcome new and returning patients to our cosmetic dentistry office that serves Kanata, Ottawa, Stittsville and all other areas of Ontario.