TMJ TreatmentAn Overview
Villanova Dental Studio in Stittsville, ON offers comprehensive treatment options for patients suffering from Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD), commonly called TMJ. Dr. Ami Barakat is among a handful of dentists in the area who have the experience and training to diagnose and treat TMJ pain and TMJ symptoms.
Dr. Barakat is a neuromuscular dentist highly trained in diagnosing TMJ disorders. TMJ disorders are often the result of an imbalance in the bite which can lead to not only painful symptoms, but damage to the jaw joints, teeth and gums.
What is TMJ?
The Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) is the joint that acts like a sliding hinge because it connects your jawbone to your skull. This joint is present on both sides of your jaw and is responsible for the opening and closing of the mouth. TMJ disorder, or TMD, refers to a wide variety of potential issues affecting the jaw joint, muscles in the face, neck, and surrounding nerves. TMJ disorder can cause some people a lot of pain in their jaw joints and the surrounding muscles.
TMJ pain can diminish a person’s quality of life and cause extreme suffering. The TMJ symptoms vary greatly from patient to patient. TMJ symptoms often mask themselves or are similar to those of other medical conditions, making diagnosis extremely difficult. It’s important for you to seek care from Stittsville, ON dentist, Dr. Barakat, if you have any of these symptoms and especially if they are persistent. TMJ Symptoms can include:
- Jaw pain
- Locked jaw or limited mobility in the jaw joint
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
- Frequent headaches
- Shoulder, neck or facial pain
- Teeth clenching, teeth grinding, often accompanied by worn, chipped or broken teeth
- Chronic earaches or ringing in ears
- Numbness or tingling of the hands or fingers
One of the best run practices. Always on-time, always friendly and gracious. I never question the integrity of the anyone in the clinic. I trust and will always recommend this Clinic to anyone"Lindsay W.
Just love my new dentist and all staff at Villanova dental studio. Would highly recommend them.Manon P.
I would not hesitate at all to recommend Villa Nova Dental in Stittsville. They have great staff, friendly and professional. What I love is that they have great hours, night and wknds. Which for us is great since its hard for me to take time off work during the day…Monique C.
The staff here are all very friendly and professional. They make you feel at ease, and help with any fears you might have about going to the dentist. I would definitely recommend anyone to visit this office, especially those with anxiety with the dentist, as they are very patient and…Karleigh W.
TMJ Treatment What to Expect
Dr. Barakat offers complimentary TMJ consultation to his patients. He will being with a thorough oral health exam, examining your oral cavity, neck, head, and face. Dr. Barakat will use this to get a clear picture of your unique oral health and to determine the right path for TMJ treatment.
TMJ treatment can be very complex which is why there is no one way to correct the problem. Treatment options may require a combination of restorative and neuromuscular dental treatments and will depend on the severity of your issues. Our goal is to treat your TMJ disorder at our Stittsville, ON dentist office by gently and naturally bringing the head, neck, jaw and bite into proper alignment. It could take one or several treatments to correct that instability and then repair any damage to teeth or gums.
TMD treatments may include:
- TENS therapy: Transcutaneous Electrical Neural Stimulation. The TENS device uses mild electrical stimulation to relax the jaw muscles. TENS allows the jaw to relax and shift into the natural resting position. This relieves tension on the muscles, allows the jaw to move into a neutral position and reduces pain.
- Mouthguards: Mouthguards worn while sleeping can help to prevent teeth grinding by repositioning the jaw. Mouthguards stop grinding and protect teeth from further damage.
- Orthodontics: For patients that have TMJ caused by bite misalignment or crooked teeth orthodontics can gradually realign the bite releasing tension from the jaw.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign can be used as an alternative to traditional metal braces to straighten teen and realign the bite.
- Restorative dentistry treatments: For minor tooth misalignment or bite issues a dental crown or porcelain veneer may be able to bring balance to the bite.
- Change in lifestyle habits: Exercise, yoga, and other therapeutic activities can help patients release stress and tension to prevent jaw clenching or teeth grinding. Dr. Barakat may make other recommendations of changes that may help alleviate TMJ pain.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are concerned that you may have a bite problem or TMJ disorder, schedule an appointment with Dr. Barakat. He will provide a thorough evaluation of your bite function and overall dental health condition. Dr. Barakat will then be able to offer his patients the proper TMJ treatment in the Kanata, ON, Stittsville, ON and Ottawa, ON area.